Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reading


For the first time in a long while, I haven't read the book we will be discussing at book club. The first chapter is about a teenager about to "age out" of a group home and on to the street.

It is beautifully written, but too heart-stopping for me.  I just can't do children in peril.

Instead, I shall concentrate on the friends who have returned after a long absence, the delightful champagne and the glorious French Brie (and seriously, doesn't it get any better than Brie? Did you know in France, it's considered bad form to lop off the tip of any cheese? Somehow this topic was never covered in any French civilization class that I took. And I took but one, and that from my Dad. I'm thinking I must have been absent on cheese etiquette day.)

You may have noticed the lemon tart is incomplete. I wanted to make sure it was up to the standards of the Lit Chix, who are just back from Boca Grande, Florida.

I started a list of what I was reading some time ago. See it on the right, just below the darling and wonderful followers of Naperville Now? In truth, my ability to stay up late reading deconstructed about a year ago, so it's taken me longer to finish a book than I'd like. (Isaacson's book about Stephen Jobs is fascinating. I'm still plowing through it. I kind of put Mark Twain aside for awhile. There's not nearly enough autobiographical stuff. And the print is teeny tiny. But I love Mark Twain, so return to it I shall. One day. Soon. Probably.)



15 comments:

Kathy and Freddy said...

With you all in spirit...love the photo with the tart....yum.

Teresa said...

It's been way too long since I've taken the time to read anything longer than a blog post or journal article. That tart does look delicious.

Kate said...

Hi Sue, I have a question for you. On your post from February 13, 2010...the frame you received from your sister-in-law....do you know the name of the company who made that frame? If so can you please pass it along? I am dying to find ones very similar in style to it!

Thanks so much!

Johanna said...

Beautiful photographic staging will excuse you from reading the required literature? Time you bought a Kindle my beautiful sister-in-law. I love mine and it is heavily loaded with all manner of reading material.

Carol said...

Sacre bleu! I wish I had read your blog before book club. I cut the tip off of your Brie. I am mortified.

Naperville Now said...

nah, that was me who did that! great discussion tonight, even tho I hadn't read anything. (is that as hysterical a sentence as I think it is?) glad you are home. hi to Oliver.

21 Wits said...

Oh the bad girls just look so cool, is the sunglasses? It's fun to just hang out together too!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Oh my gosh, that graphic at the bottom is totally MY book club!! I have to send it to them! :)
Your spread looks amazing. Lucky book clubbers. We just had ours and I did Irish stuff since the book is set in Ireland and it was St. Pat's weekend. fun!

BFL said...

You almost have me thinking about joining a book club. But I am so not into group activities. I, too, recommend a Kindle. I have not given up on ink on dead trees, but it sure was nice in AZ to finish The Hunger Games trilogy and in less than 30 seconds have a new novel to read and to know I would not have to carry it home and find shelf space for it.

Susan Anderson said...

I would have trouble reading that one, too.

=)

PS. Love lemon tarts!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I can't handle kids in peril either, it's hardwired into some people I think.

Reminds me of my book club, our motto:

My book club can drink your book club under the table...lol..

anitamombanita said...

Haha...I'm using your excuse next time I just can't' wait to sample the cake or the pie or the whatever...'just making sure it's up to par'...heehee...

As for book clubs...I'm much too sporadic. I like to read what I like to read when I want to read it. Alas.

Pondside said...

I belong to a No Guilt Book Club. Whether one reads the book or not, attendance is required for wine and dessert.

H said...

The tart does look wonderful. I enjoy reading but don't belong to a book club. My reading happens in fits and starts, so I would be a very poor member!

Jenny said...

Bad Girls Book Club, that's Really cute!

I am not able to deal with children in peril either so I definitely won't be Reading that book...

Great post for the letter "R"!

I hope the Lemon Tart was up to standards.... (((winkwink)))

Thanks for linking.

A+