Saturday, March 10, 2012

Quiet

Last night, I had planned on watching 9,000 hours of television, all taped over the past month. (Granted, these shows weren't taped, but isn't taped a snappier word? So are clicker, icebox, and heater, which I continue to use because it takes too much brain power to come up with remote, refrigerator and furnace.)

The Kendall-Jackson was chilling.

A carton of Kung Pao Chicken was calling my name.

After a quick check of my email, it would be a Masterpiece Theater, American Pickers, John Stewart, The Good Wife, Modern Family, Outnumbered, American Idol kind of night.

Except the Internet connection was emblazoned with a skull and crossbones.

A mad dash to reboot various black boxes resulted in nothing.

The upstairs computer was similarly crabby.

Stupid Internet.

I would just have to start my TV bacchanal a little earlier.

But the cable was out, too.

As were the phone lines.

(Cue creepy alien invasion music.)

My out-of-town husband assured me that the Comcast bill had not only been paid but in a timely fashion.

I called the company (from my cell phone, obviously).

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties in your area. We expect to resolve this issue by 12 p.m.

So I went to the movies all by myself. A first, I think.

Charlie made me promise to not laugh at my usual decibel and frighten the audience.

I loved The Artist.

The Jack Russell terrier was my favorite by far.

(And I'm happy to report that no one changed seats.)

7 comments:

Maureen Wyatt said...

Did you take your food and wine to the theatre with you? lol ~ Maureen

Naperville Now said...

Maureen -- too fearful of prison to take in outside food :)

Johanna said...

Have I told you this week how much I love reading your blog???? Wonderful post!

Beth said...

I love my computer,I-Phone, Kindle and other assorted techie stuff I use constantly, until they cause me problems. Glad you enjoyed The Artist!

Betshy said...

Good for you! A wise use of time!!

Splendid Little Stars said...

terrible when all that technology we depend on fails us!
Yay for going to the movies all by yourself. I don't think I've done that. (I'd remember, wouldn't I?)
I just saw The Artist on a plane coming home from vacation--not ideal. But it was really really good! I loved the dog! The dog should have won for best supporting actor.
I just looked up that dog-Uggie. Here's some info--here

Splendid Little Stars said...

aarrgh! The link didn't print. Here it is: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4398171/