Wednesday, March 14, 2012

2 Nearly Done

Chicago is enjoying spectacular weather. It will be 78 degrees today, making the prospect of sitting under my second quilt and binding it less than appealing.

But I promised myself I would carpe quilt and finish what I'd started in the (eyes scrunched) 1980s.

This quilt, a delightful, completely hand pieced Bear's Paw quilt was made by my grandmother-in-law. She had mad sewing, quilting and cooking skills, which she used to great success during most of her 99 years on this earth. (She also survived the Tri-State tornado in 1925, holding two babies in her lap. She was the force to be reckoned with.)

I've used the quilt top at the base of several Christmas trees through the years. And a few years ago, I had it machine quilted with a red backing. I know Grandma would've chosen bleached muslin (she was a purist), but I thought the red grid was unexpected and jazzy. I hope she is at peace with the unconventional choice.

Taking a page out of my friend Joyce's book, I decided to really walk on the wild side by mixing a new green fabric with the red to create a random binding.

So now, you've seen Naperville Now at her most wild and crazy.

Of course, there was that time in college....

18 comments:

Johanna said...

Grandma Meagher would be so proud of you! I'm proud of you too!

Anna JP said...

Love it. Can you put a sticker with my name on it in true Johnpeter fashion? Thanks :-)

Vicki/Jake said...

Quite Qute:)

Betty said...

Taking a walk on the wild side, but the quilt looks great!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Nice pattern on your quilt.

Sharon said...

I had those timesss in college also.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Such a beautiful quilt. And I loved the side notes about your grandmother-in-law. I'm sure it makes the quilt even more precious. I think the red backing really makes the green in the quilt pop. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

VBR said...

Quilting is an art that I have always admired, but always knew to be beyond my abilities. That does not mean that I dont love to look at them and as always, am amazed at the skill of quilters.

Splendid Little Stars said...

ha ha ha! very fun! What a pretty quilt! I do like the red!

Tonya said...

How very pretty!! I wish I had the time and patience, but I do admire them soooo!!!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Beautiful QUALITY QUILT!
Happy Q day!
Coralie

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

The red is spectacular!

love it...

Jenny said...

What patience, but anything worthwhile takes time. Beautiful! xo Jenny S.

Kathy and Freddy said...

Very wild-sideish!!!
Gorgeous, and I love you working with Grandma's quilt.

anitamombanita said...

I think the red is fun. Purist or not, I bet she would have liked it!

Unknown said...

Great to continue the tradition (with your interpretation of it:) )!

Beth said...

I love how you've combined the old traditions with new color. Love the red!

Jenny said...

This almost has a contemporary feel to it.

Love the colors!

Love your phrase, Carpe Quilt!

This was quite a lovely link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter Q.

A+