Thursday, January 12, 2012

Happy Birthday

Dear AJ,

The fact that you texted me the other day, grousing about turning 25, set me on my heels a bit. I clearly remember your birth in Atlanta. I just don't do numbers very well. How could you be 25 when I'm 25 (in that parallel universe known as my head)?

Just think of all that you've accomplished at your quarter-century mark: Warhawk of the Week (okay, I may have reached back a little too far with that one), swim team captain, nursing school graduate (with honors), Intensive Care Unit nurse at a St. Louis hospital, cat and dog owner, home owner, affianced, splendidly busy and happy in ways I never dreamed for you.

Go, you.

I can remember the year we moved to Naperville because it was the year you were born. Your sister was just starting morning Kindergarten. Given your Dad's job and the way thing were in corporate America in the 1980s, I figured we'd be outta here in 18 months.

Thanks to all that is holy, we were able to stay in one place, raise our family, plant bulbs in the garden and put down roots in a community that has sustained all of us. (And Naperville Now is an awesome and alliterative blog name, so the Internet had to have had a hand in it.)

And here we still are.

Wish you were, too.

Have an awesome birthday, my girl, with cake and candles and all our love (and a card that the postal guy says may get there Saturday. I hate that when that happens. Glad I had the foresight to send you back after Christmas with birthday gifts, which I know you have saved until tomorrow to open. You did save them, right?)

Love and happy birthday,

Mom

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my...I love this. To see your daughter happy in so many ways...it is what we all dream for our children. Lovely writing!

Unknown said...

From where I stand, 25 is a GREAT age - happy birthday to your daughter!

Wanda said...

Cool...a blogversation. Wishing your daughter (and you too) a happy birthday!

Char said...

Happy Birthday Anna.

anitamombanita said...

How sweet. Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Splendid Little Stars said...

love this post! It made me feel nostalgic about my own children. How awesome to see them grown up and successful and happy! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Kathy and Freddy said...

just sweet. A lovely birthday letter.

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

what a great h post. Makes me sad to realize how fast children grow up. My oldest turned 19 in Dec and my youngest turned 2 that same month. I will be 40 this year Oh to be 25 again!

The Poet said...

Hello.
Sweet post. Hope AJ had a wonderful day!
Thanks for sharing.

Harp Of My Soul

Jenny said...

Oh man.

This post really touched my heart.

How do they grow up so fast?

How did we ever get to the point that we aren't together on birthdays and other holidays?

I can feel the pain in your writing...such a beautiful poignant share this week.

Sending you a big hug and a Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter.

A+