Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Sculpture

I've had occasion to go through some pictures that I took in France a few years ago and found this for my contribution to Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday:


The letter was part of a larger sculpture in the town of Vence, located between Nice and Antibes. (I bet you knew that already.)  I think we were dashing, so I didn't have time to find a better angle to capture the whole shebang. Being partial to this particular letter, I snapped and moved on, probably to another glass of rosé across town.

Later on, we returned to this charming place to hear a string concert given by German musicians in the local church. You can see a placard promoting the event in the store window, just behind the picket fence.

As we listened to the musicians play through Vivaldi's The Four Seasons (in what can only be described as an acoustical heaven), I read the many engraved names of soldiers and nurses from Vence lost to the First World War, a silent roll call amidst this magnificent music, which was prayer unto itself.

You can glory in Vivaldi's work here.

Each week, Naperville Now participates in Alphabe-Thursday. See what others have to say about the letter S here.

16 comments:

Lola said...

Lovely *S* post – great photo & memories of vacations spent in and around Vence!

Have a great Alphabe-Thursday and weekend too,

Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

great shot! I need to go to France someday...

Lmkazmierczak said...

Sounds like a spectacular trip! Perfect for letter S! My S: http://lmkazmierczak.blogspot.com/2013/03/satans-standing-room.html

Eden House News and views said...

I have been there in 1983 I think it was.

Stacia said...

Sounds like a great trip. Vive la France (and le Vivaldi!). :)

Sharon said...

Je suis tres jalouse!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Love this S!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo with great European ambiance ~ ^_^

Thanks for coming by and commenting .

Tempest Nightingale LeTrope said...

It would be fun to go on vacation and come back with a letter. Or just to go on vacation. Either way!

My name is Riet said...

That looks great. Nice shot.Happy Easter

SarahBeth said...

S is a fabulous letter -- I'm an S girl too!
So glad you stopped by my S post!!

Kathy and Freddy said...

St Paul de Vence? The restaurant with the Picassos??

Naperville Now said...

Non, this is Vence. Lurve St. Paul de Vence, however.

sandy said...

Beautiful post and of course I love the letter "S" too for some reason. How wonderful you get to go back to France in October! It's always been a dream of mine too.

Happy Easter !

Cathy Kennedy said...

Vivaldi's Four Season is one of my classical pieces. Thanks for sharing your vacation season through word, music, and picture on Alphabe-Thrusday!

Jenny said...

This is a really cool S Sculpture...

Splendid find to post for the letter S...

Spectacular job!

A+