Monday, December 31, 2012

Grateful


I just can't commit to making New Year's resolutions.

When I quit smoking in 1991, I figured resolving to breathe was enough resolution for one lifetime.

But I am grateful to and for many things:

Having everyone home for Christmas for the first time in 4 years. (Here's to dispensing with the sit-down feast on Christmas Day and having appetizers served from the kitchen table.  Watching a 3-year-old gleefully rip into a present beats wrangling a turkey any day.)

Our backyard. Filled with trees, hostas and a relentless supply of chipmunks, we are grateful for the lush shade and surprising beauty. Thanks, Dave, for making us look good. Thanks, Charlie, for carrying the landscape baton so well.

Young House Love, a fabulous house blog written by a young couple in Richmond, VA, who describe themselves as "hopeless DIYers." Funny, informative, filled with great pictures, it is home improvement lived vicariously. Bottom line -- I love progress, even if it is someone else's.

Downton Abbey, resuming next Sunday. I love you, PBS. Thank you for broadcasting one delightful show after an other. And if you see Julian Fellowes, tell him this writer is available and can start on next season's script im-me-djetly.

Possibility. The room I write in is filled with it. Fabric, paint, books, an old typewriter, sewing machine, pens, art, antiques, photographs, a multitude of  projects in mid-creation. I am inspired by what I see, even if I'm not as fast as I would like completing things.

Between now and your first champagne, make a list of what fills you with gratitude and let me know what you've discovered. I am always grateful for a good list.

Each week Naperville  Now participates in Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday. This week we will be studying the letter G. See what other Alphabetarians are writing about here.
 

21 comments:

Pondside said...

I love the feeling of possibility that comes with the dawn of a New Year. I'll take the time over the next few days to think about gratitude and get back to you!

Irene said...

I can't wait for the new year to start because I don't so much have resolutions, as well have the courage to take on anything. Happy New Year!

Beth said...

I am grateful for the many people, family and friends, who enrich my life.
Thanks for reminding me to tell them!

Anonymous said...

Mahalo for your blog. From Honolulu Delta Bus Class Lounge

Jodi Bakken said...

Hi there-
Happy New Year! I'm reaching out to some local community members for a fun post we are doing on our blog and would love to include your site!

Just wondering which local Naperville restaurant you would recommend for Valentine's Day? And why? It doesn't have to be an all-time favorite restaurant, but a good option that fits with Valentine's Day and a reason why you believe it's a good choice for this particular day. (ex. delicious food, romantic atmosphere, most economical after Christmas spending, best personalized service--or maybe a good option for a family restaurant if parents want to take their kids also!)

With your feedback, we will include information about you, as well as a link to your site (and a shoutout to the restaurant you choose!). We will be doing outreach, and would like to generate some buzz on the choices! It should be a fun local post!

Have a great day!
Jodi Bakken, community outreach manager, Bill Jacobs Volkswagon, http://blog.billjacobsvw.com/

Sharon said...

I am grateful for your blog,Mrs. JP

aspiritofsimplicity said...

We are not grateful because we are happy but rather happy because we are grateful

Anonymous said...

That's a perfect G word! We all need to reflect a bit on the things we are grateful for.

carol l mckenna said...

what a wonderful post ~ attitude of gratitude is such a gift ~ love yours ^_^

I am grateful to have my son here for Xmas for the first time in several years ~ (lives out of state) my doggie, family, friends, good health, creativity and Life!

(A Creative Harbor aka ArtMusedog and Carol ^_^)

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great post! As each year goes by I find myself more grateful for the little things. I wish I had taken time to do this when my son was little but I will enjoy every minute with the g'babies!

Esther Joy said...

Love your positive attitude that shows through your grateful spirit!

Leovi said...

A good list to celebrate the new year. Happy 2013.

Brona said...

Gratefulness is one of my husband's favourite words (which is one of the many reasons why I love him <3).

Taking the time out of our busy schedules to remember all the reasons to be grateful is a lovely way to start a new year.

I'm grateful for your timely reminder :-)

Unknown said...

I am so ready for Downton Abbey to start. I have been watching all the reruns.

My name is Riet said...

Happy new year. I am not into new year resolutions either. I know I can't keep them so ........

Kristin said...

Also grateful for the return of Downton Abbey...

debra said...

Great G post :)

Barb said...

What a wonderful G post! I don't make resolutions, but I'm very grateful that I quit smoking, too, in 1998. It was tough, but I haven't had one since.

I'm also grateful that while sick over the holidays, my husband became addicted to Downtown Abbey! We're both looking forward to the new season on Sunday!

I like that you wrote about gratefulness, which is something we should think about throughout the year, not just at Thanksgiving.

Robbie Gallinger said...

Read this post with great interest, Sue. I identified with much of what you said. I miss the traditions of Christmas past, but am I grateful for what they are....I am a Downton Abbey fan too.

Judie said...

My New Year's Eve was a total bust, spent in the ER. I am grateful that TODAY I felt so much better that I went to play golf with my friends. Friends--that is what I a grateful for the most this week!!

Jenny said...

Ah.

What a Grand wrap up to 2012.

It feels so hard to let go of family things sometimes and embrace the changes.

I love what you wrote about here.

Thank you!

And thanks for linking.

A+