Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Marks the Spot

Vacation slides! 

Hey, where's everyone going? There's popcorn. And geology.



Welcome to Balanced Rock, in North Salem, CT. (I hear David Letterman lives around here.)

Glacial activity was very big when the world was much younger. For years, this amazing formation near New York was believed to have been created by a glacier.

But now, there's a little reconsidering going on. (Cue dun dun DUN! music.)

Turns out, the ginormous rock, called an "erratic" by geologists, is formed from granite not indigenous to the area. It may be a dolmen, "a Celtic stone to memorialize the dead."



Celts in Connecticut. I may just write that musical.

(As you can read, it's been here at least since 1862, per the graffiti some idiot was compelled to carve one April day a year into the Civil War.)

Many years ago, we visited Carnac, France, renowned for its many, many standing stones lining the countryside. Most were erected around 3300 B.C., give or take a millennium.



I nearly failed geology my sophomore year. All those stupid rocks looked alike to me, and by the end of the semester, I achieved a passing grade by 4/10ths of a point. The romance of stones never came up. Had it, I might be in an entirely different line of work.



With thanks to Stephen and Kevin for the rock drive-by and a splendid dinner just up the road.

Each week Naperville Now participates in Mrs. Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday. Read what others have to say about the letter X here.

17 comments:

Birgit said...

I can't help it -- I somehow see a walrus in the rock. :) Great X post!

Anonymous said...

This is certainly a more interesting side of geology.

SarahBeth said...

Looks like a giant turtle to me!!

Jim said...

I like your "X" mark, Ms. N.N. That big rock sitting up on the other four is a neat thing to have around. It took a big crane to lift it up there.

I was interested in your nearly failing geology your sophomore year. I did fail mine, the second course for geology majors, Rocks and Minerals. The teacher said he would have passed me if I had attended a few more labs. Instead I spent most of that time in the drug store playing chess. I would have made and "A" in chess had it been a graded course.

Needless to say these stupid rocks in the box kept me from becoming a geologist.

I liked the standing rocks too. I knew it wasn't Stonehenge and that it was a place I hadn't been. We were close a couple of time when we went south from Mont Saint-Michel. Once we drove down to Bordeaux and the other time to Gilbralter.

Have a nice Thursday "X" Day,
..

Leovi said...

Yes, a mystery that enormous rock on balance ...!

Lola said...

This has certainly made me look at geology in a new light!

Great post.

carol l mckenna said...

Great post for X ~ Love stones ~they are fascinating ~ Have a great weekend and thanks for comments ^_^

Lmkazmierczak said...

Rock on♫♪ Cool info. My X effort: http://lmkazmierczak.blogspot.com/2013/05/exclamations.html

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

There is a balance rock in So. UT as well as a Balance Rock cafe that I just love...

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Just found your blog and love it!! Great story about Jane Fonda. I know Naperville well, my best friend lives in Wheaton and I went to college in Lake Forest.

debra @ homespun said...

ha ha I had the same initial turtle thought as Sarah! :)

Stacia said...

Celts in Connecticut! I'd pay to see that show! :)

Kathy and Freddy said...

If only we'd taken Geology together. It's a class that's meant to be shared.
I've never seen that balancing rock before!!

Splendid Little Stars said...

Now that's cool! how ever it came about.
I've seen erractics --in Yosemite.
I never studied geology, but I do find rocks (like in the Western US) interesting. Do I have all the details, the science memorized? nope!

Carol said...

I can't decide which option is more intriguing: dolmen or glacial deposit?
Fascinating!

EG CameraGirl said...

How amazing the rock is so well balanced there! Thanks for the geology...and I enjoyed the popcorn too.

Jenny said...

Wow.

I love rocks! In any form or shape!

And these pictures are quite xciting and xcellent!

I'd like to see Stonehenge someday!

Thanks for linking.

A+